Friday, July 22, 2011

Getting in the Hang of things....

    Hello Everyone! Welcome to my first blog entry, about which I'm excited to see how things go. I won't go too in depth of what plans I have for this, but I will give a little background. 
One of the artworks entered in my first Art show
   All of my life I have been making things: everything from making arts and crafts, to music and performances; from poems and movies, to gifts and props. It could be said, that much of my survival has depended upon my ability to making things. One could comb through our house and pull out boxes and stacks and bags full of the paintings, drawings, projects and trinkets I've made (in fact, last summer we did comb out all these things and tried to go to a portfolio review, more on that later). Not to mention the works I've given away as well (more on that later too).
   What I hope to explore here, is why exactly I make these things. Recently, I had entered some works into a local art show, I knew I shouldn't expect much from a first show, but that night I felt so terribly insecure. Perhaps it is because soon I'm going to have to find ways to live off my art, every passing look at any of my works feels like either the glance that gets me into a good college, or the glare that tells me to hit the drawing board again. I'm hoping that by documenting my 'projects' and reflecting on my past works, I'll better understand my methods and create better art; art that tells my life story and not just be a part of it. Not to mention the high possibly for having some fun as well.
   So if you'll please be patient as I get used to this whole blogging thing (which is a project in its self), I'll post snippets of the stuff I'm working on, and the things I learn about my art along my life's journey. 
    Even though it is currently thunder-storming outside (which is a rather spectacular way to end a killer heat wave of a week), I have a great feeling about this. 
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment