Saturday, July 23, 2011

My running, my mom, and other things...

Today's post is partly inspired by my mom.

     In the last few years, I have taken a liking to running and biking. I am currently getting in shape for my high school's cross country team, one of the only sports I have ever taken serious interest in (or competed in, for that matter). I'm hoping for a great season this year so I've been hitting the running pretty hard this month. As a result, the faults in my mechanics and my weak spots are starting to catch up to me with achy hips and heavy legs. I just can't keep from running though, so I woke up early and went for a mild 4 mile run this morning after taking a break for a couple days. Running for me seems this balancing act between what's in it for me, and what's in it for the sport.
   Anyway, as I was getting ready to head out the door, my mom popped out of her room getting to go on a walk/run herself. She 'ran' her first 5k in June. Before that, running has been mainly an isolated thing for me, I was so excited that morning that she was gonna give it a shot. She was fantastic, having fun even! I cheered her on the last lap, and we triumphantly went home feeling so accomplished, together. It was a true mother/daughter day we haven't had in a long time. Walking and running are starting to become things we share, so any time she gets up and goes, I want to get up and go too.
  That morning, I was relieved when I finally got back from my run. As I expected, I was pretty uncomfortable most of the time, and likely would have taken much longer if there wasn't a coming thunderstorm on the horizon to beat home. I walk in the door to see her resting after having finished her run before me. I was rather exhausted and expected us to watch tv for a while, but she pops up out of her chair and proclaims: "I'm gonna walk around the block and get the mail".  I was a little suprised, perhaps confused, at her restlessness. But I smiled and settled into the couch as she went out again.
   I woke up two hours later to the sound of her coming into the door. "So how was it?" I asked, knowing I shouldn't have slept so long. "It was great!" and she listed the neighbors she talked to along the way, including a man who lives down the street with this big Dane/shepherd mix of a dog. "I petted him, actually, he's really sweet dog." Every day she gets a little faster and little stronger Mom said as she continued going around the living room settling down. Pausing and looking out the door, a thought seemed to bloom from her heart: "You know, it is so lovely to have a Saturday when you have nothing looming over your head to do. You can just get up and go and do as you please, you know? It's so great." I finally understood her drive this morning.

On of my favorite works of my mom's : The Sea Shell Hunt, circa 1975
    I won't go into detail, but life has been getting better in our house at the same time it's been giving us new challenges to face (or rather, variations on the same theme). I prayed mom would feel this great all day, all weekend, becuase I know too well how it seems those things we HAVE to tackle always seem to follow us close behind. The things that can build and drag us down after a while. Days like this give me hope that soon we'll sit down together and share our creative minds together as we've shared other things. My mom is an artist as well, and my talents are as much of hers as they are mine. She hasn't done any art for her self lately, and it's a part of her life I wish I knew more about. I owe so much to my mom. Parts of me, are hers forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment