Friday, August 5, 2011

One day at a time...

    I've just been taking things as they come this week. Although my mom has had time off work, I don't think it's been much of a vacation for her yet (yet, there's still the weekend). We've faced some tough challenges this summer, I think I serve my role the best when I do what I can to help and also try to stay out of the way. Because of extenuating circumstances, I turned to painting and making stuff as a kid to keep myself entertained and maybe make nice things for people to make them happy. I think I've resorted back to those reasons lately with all this crafting: trying to make stuff for school and maybe make stuff to sell. I'm getting more and more busy with school coming up, what with working on these various projects, along with going to the horse barn, cross country practices in the morning, and getting ready for the school year. It's a somewhat frustrating and worrisome time for me. But, I know it would be important for me to do something for the sake of art before summer's end.
   I took my dog for a walk a few days ago, with a storm of worry in my head. I usually look to art as a release, but it seemed I would never decide on what to do to. With limited supplies, I had to cut back on my painting plans. It felt like I was losing control of everything. I walked along growing ever more desperate, until I found my self asking God for guidance, what should I do now? That morning while cleaning out my closet, I found this plain white cotton dress I had borrowed from my art teacher the month before. I had forgotten all about it, or why I borrowed it in the first place. I hadn't thought about what I was going to do with it until my dog and I walked past this particularly picturesque phone pole I had been eyeballing for a painting. "What if I painted that, on the dress?" I thought. Well, why stop there? Why not painting all of the images and thoughts I've collected over the summer on that dress!
    I had to smile at the fact that I knew that I came upon that idea with God's aid. So, I'll just have to stick to it and see what I come up with. I think I'll work on that today.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment